I spent hours this past weekend listening to past years' epidoses of Brenda Dayne's Cast On podcast. Brenda's efforts have opened my eyes to the world of knitting as I take more than a few interesting and thought provoking tidbits from each listening session. Somewhere within her 2007 series of podcasts, I learned about the Knitting Ladies of Interim House, program at a halfway house in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, for women recovering from drug and alcohol addictions. I am inspired by the program director's blog posts as the content really speaks to the importance of creativity and the sense of accomplishment that can be gained from the simple act of knitting. When one focuses on one stitch at a time, one can quickly see how each successful stitch works together with others towards a masterpiece of accomplishment. Having learned about the success of this program, I began considering my own stash and the potential rewards of corraling yarns that can be put to better use to benefit a group such as this rather than remaining in storage bins indefinitely. Interweave Knits publishes a lengthy list of charities that benefit from donations of knitting supplies and/or knitted items. It is clear that the potential for every knitter to make a difference is signficant.
0 Responses